No curve was too sharp for them and their bicycle. No puddle was deep enough to stop them. -- Friends by Helme Hein

12 August, 2009

More tremblers

This one woke me up at 5 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Seems it made the news across the ocean, but all was fine here. It shook about as long and strong as the one on Sunday night, which means dishes, painting and shelves were rattling. It was a 6.4 off the main island of Honshu, but was felt like a 3 or 4 here. I believe this is the 8th earthquake I've felt in the year I've lived in Japan. These 2 were by far the strongest and longest, although one last fall shook much more violently for just a few seconds, jolting me awake at 6 a.m.

Apparently Tokyo is overdue for the Great Tokai earthquake. This earthquake has hit Tokyo an average of once every 111 years since the 1400s. The last time it hit here was in 1864. It's expected to be at least an 8.1 centered under a volcanic island called Izu Oshima in the Tokyo Bay. James and I are planning to ride our bikes around that little island next week.

No comments: