No curve was too sharp for them and their bicycle. No puddle was deep enough to stop them. -- Friends by Helme Hein

25 August, 2007

coming home

I'll start with one of the most basic needs in life---a place to call home.
Having been
either semi-nomadic or living with 15 year olds (a.k.a. spawns of the devil) for the last few years, it's nice to have a quiet place I can call home. My apartment is in an area called Ciglane (sig-lawn-ee), up on a hill in the center of Sarajevo. The balcony overlooks the western side of Sarajevo, with views of the green hills, towering mosques, new construction and old cemeteries. I think it's beautiful. I'm on the 4th floor (5th for us Americans) in a fully furnished apartment. My kitchen is orange and hot pink--never thought it could work, but I love it. I'm also blessed with a washer (that also dries!) and a dishwasher.

There are a few shops and restaurants in this area accessed by a short walk down a few flights of stairs. Living in Ciglane is ideal. Old town, cafes and the vegetable market are all close by. The last picture of the building with the fence around it is the Chinese embassy, just across from my building.

No comments: